10 Tips on Writing the Living Web
1. Write for a reason
2. Write often
3. Write tight
4. Make good friends
5. Find good enemies
6. Let the story unfold


7. Stand up, speak out

grandma and aunty maude

Grandma Sanders and her daughter, Maude, my father’s Aunt.



standing up speaking out

I am eating my lunch so I am going to copy and paste some statements by people speaking out  (while  I eat).




The Rev Bill O’Donnell

Radical priest dedicated to social justice

Known for his fearlessness, his brutal honesty, his commitment to Gandhian non-violence, his bracing disrespect for those in power, and, not least, his raucous Irish wit, Father Bill was regarded as little short of a saint by friends and fellow activists in the San Francisco Bay Area.

A testimonial on the wall of his parish office at the church of St Joseph the Worker in Berkeley – next to a coat-hanger displaying his voluminous collection of plastic and metal hand-cuffs – praised him “for raising hell to create heaven on earth”. His friend and fellow activist Martin Sheen, the Hollywood actor, once said: “Bill is one of the scariest people I know because he makes us tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth all the time. He takes the cup as it is offered, not altered.

Dorothy Day is the co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement that began in New York City in 1933.  Dorothy Day and Peter Maurin Co-founded the Catholic Worker Movement which “is grounded in a firm belief in the God-given dignity of every human person.  Today 213 Catholic Worker communities [worldwide] remain committed to nonviolence, voluntary poverty, prayer, and hospitality for the homeless, exiled, hungry, and foresaken. Catholic Workers continue to protest injustice, war, racism, and violence of all forms.”  (from Catholic Worker website)

Foley describes himself as an anarchist. “Don’t conform,” he tells young kids. “You don’t have to become like them.” By them, he means the bulk of society. What about Aboriginal society, I ask. What about “them”? How do they view individualists? He grins. “To you, I’m an individualist but, in terms of Koori society, I’m not. I’m not above the rules of my society.” What are those rules? He waves away the question. “Anthropologists have been spying on us for 200 years. Keep your callipers in the bag. We don’t want any head measuring around here.” Foley basically regards questions as interruptions. “Do your homework before you come and talk to me,” he snaps. Before we begin, he tells me to read Noam Chomsky’s, `Manufacturing Consent’. Chomsky, an American Jewish intellectual, believes 20 per cent of the population control the other 80 per cent through the media. This conforms with Foley’s view, both of the media and the gullibility of people in general. The only time that Australians have listened seriously to him was when he was a preacher on `A Country Practice’. His eyes glint with the irony of it. Foley would like to make a film about Koori life, about its comic absurdity.

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Now for some thumping music.